Saturday, February 21, 2015

First Week of Lent ('Uike Mamahi)

“Candy? Well, already given that up. Fast food? Done. Chipotle?! Done that too,” Bailey laughed, thinking about her answer to my question.
 “I don’t know, Lent doesn’t seem to make sense this year…I just don’t know what else to give up…”

When I was 12, I gave up candy for Lent. The year after that, T.V. Then, fast food. One year I gave up “seconds”. Another year, pop. (I don’t even drink pop).
In college, my roommate, Ari, and I gave up cheese. We broke it day two; and day three; then again just about every day afterwards.

This year, to repent for all of my feeble “sacrifices” and past failures, I’ve decided to go all in for Lent. This year, I’ve given up:
            - Candy
            - T.V.
            - Fast food
            - Pop
            - Cheese (contrary to actually not-all-that-popular belief, Chesdale is not cheese)
            - A high standard of personal hygiene
            - Running water
            - Showering (bucket baths for days)
            - Hot water
            - Feeling clean
            - Sex
            - Instant communication
            - Attending or viewing sporting events (still reppin’ Cavs/Browns/Indians though)
            - Restaurants
            - Going to bed after 10 o’clock
            - Waking up after sunrise
            - Pants
            - Shorts
            - Showing my sexy knees at all (slash, ankles or even babycalf…)
            - Showing my shoulders
            - Bikinis (or just swimming not fully-clothed)
            - Drinking (excessive amounts of) alcohol
            - Downloading (or even knowing about) new music
            - Going to the gym
            - Being competitive
            - Walking at a moderate to fast pace
            - Doing anything at a moderate to fast pace
            - Baked goods
            - Chocolate milk
            - Ice
- Pizza
            - Tacos
            - Chipotle (six months sober)
            - Being comfortable
            - Chucks
- Overalls
            - Crocs
            - Wearing anything but variations of the same four outfits every week
            - Knowing exactly what’s going on around me at any given moment
            - Personal space
            - Personal privacy
            - Eating a variety of foods
            - Doing things on Sundays
            - Breakfast (pancakes, eggs, bacon etc. etc. etc.)
            - Driving
            - Everyday Household appliances (e.g. washers/driers)
            - Air conditioning
            - Having a toilet that regularly flushes when I press a button/handle

No comments:

Post a Comment